Sunday, February 6, 2011

Draining Worries

Water gushed from the top of the water heater. A pool of liquid began to form in the containment pan beneath it.

It was only a matter of time before the pan would overflow, eventually soaking the hardwood floors.

“What are we going to do?” I asked my husband as he calmly evaluated the situation.

“We’ll have to call a plumber,” he answered.

It was nearing midnight, but I insisted that we call one right away. After speaking to two plumbers, it was determined that we needed to turn off the heater as soon as possible - and that a plumber would not be able to fix our water heater until the next morning.

How were we going to take a shower? Brush our teeth? Use the toilet?

My husband decided to turn on the water for only five minutes. Just enough time for me to take a quick - very quick - shower and fill a couple of bottles with water. Thus, the crisis was slightly averted  - until the next day.

Turns out the water heater needed to be replaced instead of fixed, which was going to take longer and more money. My husband wasn’t worried, though. While he had never installed a water heater before, he just knew he could do it.

I, on the other hand, had doubts and began to worry. What could possibly go wrong? I wasn’t exactly sure, but I just knew there was something that could go wrong! He ignored my suggestions of calling a plumber, and lo and behold, my brilliant husband successfully installed the water heater!

The next day at work, Todd called me.

“Hey,” he said. “Remember that time you didn’t think I’d be able to install the water heater and I did?”

I couldn’t help laughing at his joke - and myself. Lesson learned: have more faith that situations will work out for the good.

I’m going to try to put this lesson to good use, too. It could snow again later this week. Instead of dwelling on how the snow could affect my plans, I’m going to try to think positive. This week, it will not snow!

Or, if it does, it will only be a little.

Copyright © 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment