Wednesday, March 9, 2011

No Worries...Right?


I had just returned from the gym yesterday morning when an idea hit me. I’m not going to worry about anything today, I thought.

Maybe it was the endorphins talking after the intense workout, but nevertheless, I thought it was an excellent idea. Could I not worry for an entire day? Really? Me?

For the past two days I felt anxious, like I had to worry about something. I’m not sure why I felt that way, but it began to tire me. For just one day I wanted to know what it felt like not to worry about anything. So I got ready for the day and with a spring in my step, headed to work.

Not long after my departure from home, I found myself behind a slow car. Don’t get upset, I told myself. Everything will be fine, and you will get to work on time.

The car soon turned, and finally I was able to go the speed limit. See, I told myself, that wasn’t so bad.

Once at work, I poured a cup of coffee (a drink I never cared for until I started regularly working out in the mornings). Not long afterwards, I began to feel jittery and wondered if the coffee could be affecting my heart negatively. The day before I had read an article on Yahoo! about how coffee can be good for you, so I fought to push all of the negative thoughts aside.

Later in the afternoon, I felt a tingling sensation on my head. That’s nothing, I thought.

Then, it happened again. It’s nothing, so don’t worry about it, I told myself.

But then it happened yet again, and I couldn’t Google the symptoms fast enough. The search found so many things it could have been, but in the end, I think the tingling was caused by a pinched nerve in my neck.

So I failed at my first attempt not to worry all day long. It was an ambitious challenge for a chronic worrier such as myself, but I shouldn’t worry about my failed attempt. For the first time in my life, I made the effort to eliminate useless worrying, and I should feel good about that.

Copyright © 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment