Monday, April 4, 2011

Learning When Not To Worry

Concentrate on what you’re going to eat for your next meal.

Believe it or not, but this recent advice may just help to reduce the frequent worrying in my life. How, you ask? Well, instead of worrying about big things such as tornadoes, earthquakes, blood clots, etc., I should concentrate on insignificant things. Here are a few examples of questions I should ponder more often: What should I eat for dinner? Should I really buy those cute pair of shoes? Will “The Office” be good without Michael Scott?

I know it may sound silly to concentrate on unimportant issues in life, but if I focus my attention on smaller day-to-day happenings, the bigger ones that shouldn’t even be on my radar in the first place - unless it is in fact a tornado - may fade into the background. And fewer bigger worries equals less stress.

Since I was given this advice a few days ago, I’ve been trying to practice it. Surprisingly, it seemed to be working - until today. After working out this morning, my lower back began hurting. Did I think it was caused by carrying a heavy load of groceries yesterday? Or that I might have pulled something while working out? Of course not! If you have lower back pain, it must mean you have kidney problems!

Then, I remembered my new technique: think about insignificant issues. It’s difficult, though, trying to think of something else when there is pain telling your mind that, yes, there is something wrong.

While my back is still hurting (it hurts only when I move, which I find a little comforting because it is probably a pulled muscle), I have something else to worry about now. The threat of tornadoes. As I sit here writing this, a line of storms is moving this way. I know I said I would try to watch my stress levels more than the radar, but it’s so difficult not to watch where the red and yellow clumps are heading. Better safe than sorry, right?

That said, I actually feel quit calm right now despite the pending doom, I mean, storms. I have a book I can read to keep my mind on other things. I’m also trying to win a game of Words With Friends. And, of course, I have my husband, who knows how to make me laugh.

Now, what should my husband and I eat for dinner tomorrow?












                                                               Copyright © 2011

2 comments:

  1. That's the spirit! I think you're on to something.....Let trivial and happy thoughts chase the worries away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!
    Thank you for the advice, it seems like a healthy attitude. I'll definitely try it!

    ReplyDelete