Thursday, January 13, 2011

DOI (Driving On Ice)

Well, my winter weather worries continue.

Thanks to some nice people I work with, I was able to get rides to the office yesterday and today. Unfortunately, since I have an appointment tomorrow, it looks like the best option would be for me to drive myself to work.

The roads have improved, but there are still some slick spots and ice-related accidents. A commute that usually takes twenty minutes turned into a two-hour commute today (my husband picked me up, and we saw four accidents on our way home). While the wheels on Todd’s car spun a few times on the ice, the wheels were spinning in my head, as well. Here’s a snapshot of that two-hour ride home:

A babbling brook creeps along mountains of melting snow.

“Isn’t that pretty?” my husband asks me. He is clearly not worried about the icy conditions.

“Yes, it is,” I say. Concentrate on the pretty scenery, not the treacherous ice beneath us, I tell myself over and over again.

We continue to drive on the narrow backroad, which we took to avoid chaos caused by an accident. Then, a red light stops us. On ice.

“Once that light turns green, I don’t think we’ll be able to get going,” my husband says. He still does not seem very worried. I, on the other hand, can feel my chest tighten.

The light turns green and as he predicted, we’re stuck. We begin to slide, and the wheels desperately turn, trying to gain some traction. There is a slight drop-off to our right, and I just know that we’re headed for it! Then, the car straightens and struggles to go forward. A SUV is ahead of us, and now I’m worried we could hit it. We don’t hit it, though, and eventually make it out of the ice and onto the main road.

This commute, along with the four accidents we saw along the way, does not inspire much confidence that I can drive in the ice tomorrow. There are a couple of spots I’m worried about, but I’m going to try to drive myself to work! Hopefully, I’ll have a good report tomorrow!

Copyright © 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment