Sunday, January 16, 2011

Worries Melt Away

As my car slowly rolls down the ramp onto the interstate, I’m confident I’m going to make it.

“This isn’t so bad,” I think to myself. “The roads actually have been pretty clear.”

Then, just as I’m about to make it off of the ramp, my car slides. My first instinct is to step on the brakes. But wasn’t I told by numerous people that if you ever hit a patch of ice, don’t step on the brakes?

There’s barely enough room for another car to fit between my car and the one in front of me. I have to step on the brakes, though. If I don’t I could hit the car in front of me, and almost all of my worries concerning driving on the ice would be justified.

I slowly press down on the brakes. My car wiggles and continues sliding forward. Finally, it comes to a stop - right behind the car in front of me.

Luckily, that’s the only ice-related incident I had to deal with on Friday. Turns out I worried for nothing (thank goodness!).

My husband ended up suggesting a route that had the least amount of ice on it. The route to work was longer and had more traffic, but I didn’t mind. Less ice meant less stress, so it was worth it!

While I safely made it to the office, that didn’t mean I ceased worrying about the ice. I still had to make it to an appointment, which meant I had to get back out on potential treacherous roads. My appointment was in the afternoon, so by that time, the sun’s warmth had melted much of the ice or turned it to slush.

I had no problems getting to and from my appointment and was quite pleased with myself for facing my fears. However, when I returned to the office, I began to worry about the drive home. The temperature was dropping, and the melting snow and standing water would turn back into ice soon. After much debating, I decided to leave work before it got dark. Again, the drive took about two hours to make it home, but I did it - safely!

Copyright © 2011

1 comment:

  1. Good job! You are facing down one worry after another! :-)

    ReplyDelete