Sunday, January 23, 2011

Simple Explanation

When I awoke from a nap a couple of days ago, the side of my face was numb.

“Okay,” I thought. “It just needs to wake up, as well.”

I pinched and splashed water on my face, but neither of those actions mitigated the numbness. After taking a shower, my face still felt numb.

That’s when I began to worry.

What if the way I had slept had triggered something? What if something more serious was going on underneath my skin?

My husband wasn’t worried, though, because he had a feeling there was a simple explanation. He said my face probably felt numb because of the way I had gone to sleep on it - just like my hand or foot would have if I had slept wrong on them. Not a problem at all, right?

Actually, I think the real problem is the fact that I ignore the simple explanations and put all my eggs in the serious basket. Why? Because what if you ignored a minor pain or annoyance and it turned out the problem was something that you should have paid closer attention to? I know of people who had what seemed like a normal cough, but that cough was not just a cough; they later found out they had been in the early stages of lung cancer. When you hear stories like that, how could you not pay closer attention to your body? Am I the only one who does this?

So for now, I’m just going to try to move on from this incident and if it happens again, maybe I should get it checked out. Until then, I’m sure I’ll find something else to worry about.....

Copyright © 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment